Thursday, February 16, 2012

10 Must Have Books, According to My 3-Year-Old


With well over 300 children’s books in our home, I’ve noticed that the same books get chosen over and over again when bedtime comes calling. These are the top 10, not by my personal preference, but by what my 8-year-old used to beg for and what the 3-year-old now also requests. It’s amazing how they both seem to be drawn to the same books.

1. Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Suess
This is the first book Darling Daughter #1 learned to actually read (not memorize). Darling Daughter #2 requests this one often now, asking for, “the one with that guy who doesn’t want to eat stuff.” Classic.

2. The Widow’s Broom by Chris Van Allsburg
The author (who also penned Jumanji) creates this slightly eerie, but intriguing tale. I must admit this is also one of my favorites. I was a bit surprised at how much my children enjoy this story, the illustrations are not colorful, but they are enchanting.

3. The Nutshell Library by Maurice Sendak
While this is a pint-sized compendium of four Maurice Sendak favorites is technically a boxed set, I’ll count it as one. One Was Johnny, Pierre, Alligators All Around, and Chicken Soup with Rice have been read so many times we all know them by heart. And the small size means they come with us EVERYWHERE. Church, car trips, gymnastics meets, you name it.

4. We’re Off to Find the Witch’s House by Richard Krieb
With a delightful sing-songy cadence this book is especially fun to read around Halloween, but it is requested at least once a week all year through.

5. Wacky Wednesday by Theo Le Sieg (a.k.a. Dr. Suess, whose real name is Theodore Seuss Geisel (Le Seig backward). What kid doesn’t get a kick out of that shoe on the wall?!

6. Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
Another Maurice Sendak classic, this book far exceeds the movie and will live forever in the hearts of children for generations to come.

7. Good Night Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
It may seem cliche, but the nightly ritual of finding that little white mouse is a special memory that my girls and I will always cherish.

8. Treasury of Stories Originally Created by Beatrix Potter
Our large purple tome with guilded-gold page edges is often pulled off the shelf for afternoon reading. You know, when you hear those lovely words, “Mom, can you read me a story?” Gosh, I love that. Potter’s short tales are of the perfect length to tell between snack time and Play-doh.

9. Dora’s Pirate Adventure
I told you, this is my 3-year-old’s list, not mine. I’m including this one grudgingly, but it cannot be ignored. I am not usually a fan of these television inspired stories, but for some reason this one really resonates with the kids. There must be more than two rolls of scotch tape holding our copy together.

10. The Lost Ears by Phillida Gili
An odd little story about a tiny teddy who loses his ears gets the sympathy of my girls every time.

I am of the mind to think that it doesn’t really matter what you are reading your kids, as long as you are reading. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it’s important for their future education, but equally as important is the time you are spending with their undivided attention. It’s a chance to sit them on your lap or cuddle close and share the magic of imagination. Happy reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment